Python/Wx dot net

Carl Waldbieser waldbie at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 7 21:36:45 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:877k3hq926.fsf at pobox.com...
> Ah.  I had assumed managed C++ was enough like C++ to make porting C
> and C++ easy.  Is that wrong?  I guess the problem is memory
> management? -- pretty fundamental to C.

Managed C++ constrains you to what the framework allows, so currently, that
means no templates, no multiple inheritence (this one affects Python as a
.NET language), no unmanaged heap.  Also, no free functions-- everything is
modeled as a static memebr of a class (ala Java?).  Garbage collection is
the norm, so you typically don't have to worry too much about your own
memory management.  The scheme used is technically different than the
resource management used in C-Python, but similar to Jython in some
respects.
On the other hand, you can pretty easily compile unmanaged apps, and it is
pretty easy to get managed and unmanaged code to work together under various
restrictions.  I can recommend ".NET Architecture and Programming Using
Visual C++" by Peter Thorsteinson and Robert J. Oberg as a good book on the
subject.  Seeing how C++ interacts with the framework in cotrast to C# or
Visual Basic gives some decent insights into how the whole thing works (at
least for me it did).  Or, you can jsut read the C++ .NET reference in the
mdn library (http://www.msdn.microsoft.com).

> > When I hear about things like COBOL.NET or Eiffel.NET or Smalltalk.NET,
> > have often stopped to wonder, how the heck could that really be like the
> > original language?  The .NET infrastructure does cover a wide array of
> > features from various programming languages, but not nearly every
> > interesting feature from every programming language that has had its
time in
> > the sun.
>
> This is interesting.  Do you have any references / links on this (I
> mean specifically on this -- I don't want to read a pile of general
> stuff about the CLR)?

Err, I'm not exactly sure if you mean links about various .NETified
programming languages or something else.  I think this link is where I first
read about Eiffel for .NET:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
ml/pdc_eiffel.asp

Carl Waldbieser