Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 8 18:03:44 EDT 2003

Peter Seibel:
> PERL               12.0        27 [it had 27, while the the other table
had 25]

I double checked.  McConnell lists "25".

> MAKE               15.0        21
>
> I'm not sure what to make of CLOS being separate from Common Lisp, but
> there it is. But it's sort of moot because by this measure, MAKE is a
> higher level language than either Lisp, Perl, or C++. Personally, I
> think I'll be looking for another metric.

McConnell said that if you *could* do it in a given higher level
language then you should.  Eg, spreadsheets are listed as a very
high level language, but you wouldn't write a word processor
in one.

I don't know the background behind the paper you referenced.
I suspect is has the same qualifier.  If so, it's quite true that
using make for its domain is more appropriate than a more general
general purpose language.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com