python 2.3.1 issues DeprecationWarning for FCNTL when importing tempfile

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 15:57:37 EDT 2003

[Pierre Rouleau]
> Actually, i do understand that now.  The import worked because
> fcntl.pyc existed.  What I don't understand is why there was a file
> called fcntl.pyc in the directory when fcntl.py was not there (even
> though the source file FCNTL.py is present).

I don't know either, but am pretty sure it's not due to anything in the core
Python distribution.  At the far reaches of my aging memory, it rings a tiny
bell:  do you use any of the packages for building distributions on Windows?
I have the vaguest memory that one of those went around compiling Python
files, but didn't preserve the original case of module names.  In your case,
I'd ask you to remember what you were doing at 10:28 on 30 Sep 2003 (that's
when your fcntl.pyc file got created, if we're to believe the output from
previous email):

-rwxrwxrwa   1 Administrators  None      583 Sep 30 10:28 fcntl.pyc