Express What, not How.

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Wed Oct 15 03:44:37 EDT 2003

Adrian Hey wrote:

> james anderson wrote:
>
> > Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> >> Most high level languages have anonymous functions for a reason.
> >>

> > i'm just wondering if you're serious about all of this.
>
> I think Marcin is serious, and any Haskeller would agree I suspect.

i have no argument with the utility of lambda abstractions.
i am trying only to understand the implications of an argument which, at least
as stated, rather unequivocally deprecates bindings.
the position which was proposed in the forgoing post was rather extreme.
i enquired to see of m.kowalczyk might offer some practical examples from
which it might be possible to learn something.

> A good example from Haskell would be the use of lambda abstractions
> as the second argument of the monadic >>= operator. Supplying names
> for all those abstractions would be really awkward and yield highly
> unreadable code IMO.

yes, i am good friends with lambda abstractions. we get along well and respect
each other. i am, however, neither married to one, nor an initiate in a sect
which deems it a transgression to utter the name of another deity.