Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Espen Vestre espen at *do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net
Wed Oct 29 09:33:45 EST 2003

Matthias Blume <find at my.address.elsewhere> writes:

> > Declarations can take this further, such that a compiler as smart as
> > CMUCL can manipulate raw (unsigned-byte 32) values, for example.
>
> Oh, so you're saying you want static declarations, checked and
> enforced by the compiler?

CL declarations are nothing but hints to the compiler that it is
allowed to optimize. Sometimes this is useful.

> Hmm, I've read this point of view in this thread somewhere.

Now you're conflating two readings of "want declarations" (i.e.  "want
them whenever they're convenient for optimizing" vs. "want them
everywhere and always")
--
  (espen)