Jython, GILs and object locking.

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Thu Oct 16 16:35:25 EDT 2003

Ype Kingma wrote:
> Jython does not have "these problems". It just has another garbage
> collecting method than CPython, and normally __del__ is called from
> another thread.

"Jythons has already these problems" was really the short form for
"People porting their programs to the non-reference-counted Python will
have problems when they rely on the CPython specific behaviour that
objects get destroyed when they are out of scope. People porting their
programs to Jython have these problems already today". That's why I was
talking about the "language CPython" in the post before that.

But the easiest way around this would be to change the exception when
the process runs out of file handles. Something like "Serves you right,
you shouldn't rely on implementation defined behaviour anyway" perhaps.

Daniel