Why don't people like lisp?

Ville Vainio ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi
Mon Oct 20 05:29:39 EDT 2003

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> Yeah, sure. And 95% of all computer users use Windows so it must be
> the best OS. You know the "50 million flies" saying?

Yep, but when exposed to a clearly superior language, one might assume
that at least a part of the students would get the clue and keep on
using it after the course. You can only go so far with "all college
students are morons". People diss Python if they haven't tried it, but
convert soon after giving it a spin; people diss Lisp even after
trying it. Perhaps they are morons, flies, whatever. Python also
welcomes them with open arms. When all is said and done, being 31337
is not that important.

However, Lisp (Emacs Lisp) *is* one of the three languages I actually
can find use for. The other two are C++ (day job) and Python.

--
Ville Vainio   http://www.students.tut.fi/~vainio24