genealogy and U.S. maps help

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Thu Oct 30 16:40:30 EST 2003

I'm trying to write a mapping function for genealogy.
I want to read a gedcom database and plot an icon at
a geographic location based on a user's query.

Can you help me find:

1) A python interface to gedcom?
(gedcom is a well documented linear
file so I can probably do this myself
if an interface is not available)

2) An index of U.S. cities and counties with
their longitude and latitude?  This could be
a web site that allows automated queries or a
database.

(This is the hardest part of the problem since
the places in the gedcom database are hand typed
by the user.  My thought is to try and guess as
many locations as possible, then let the user
input the rest of the (unknown) locations by
clicking on the displayed map (see below) then
save this hard earned data for reuse, either in
gedcom or as an auxilary dictionary)

3) Graphics of U.S. (country, states and counties)
with longitude and latitude relationships suitable
for tk or wxpython display?

(There are some nice maps available for visio,
I'm not sure if they could be used for my purposes)

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys