"Error in sys.excepthook" message from Python 2.3 multi-threaded script

Follower follower at iname.com
Sun Oct 26 23:08:42 EST 2003

Hi,

I've run into an issue which seems to have been discussed previously
on `python-dev` but only in context of Zope3:

    "Fun with 2.3 shutdown" -- Tim Peters
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-September/038151.html>

The following message is displayed (one or more times) when exiting
(in this case via a `KeyboardInterrupt` exception) a multi-threaded
Python 2.3 script (on Mac OS X 10.2.1):

    """
    Unhandled exception in thread started by
    Error in sys.excepthook:

    Original exception was:
    """

It doesn't always happen consistently. As a comparison, I have run the
same script under Python 2.2.2 and the problem does not seem to occur
there. (Although, of course, with threads that's no guarantee...)

I had a look at the bug list on Sourceforge and this issue doesn't
seem to have made it there yet, so I thought I'd raise it here, partly
as Google-bait and partly to see if I should re-raise the issue on
`python-dev`.

The script in question is a multi-threaded curses framework I'm
developing, and I can post code if that's useful.

--Phil.