Beginner question : skips every second line in file when using readline()

peter leonard pfleonard at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 23:33:49 EDT 2003

Hi,
I having a problem with reading each line from a text file. For example, the
file is a text file named 'test.txt' with the following content :

line 1
line 2
line 3
line 4
line 5

The following script attempts to print out each line :

datafile ="C:\\Classifier\Data\\test.txt"
dataobject = open(datafile,"r")

while dataobject.readline() !="":

        line = dataobject.readline()
        print line

However, the output from this script is :

line 2

line 4

I'm sure this is a simple problem but I can't figure it after loking up
several reference books and web pages. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards
Peter

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.