Concurrency models (was: Timer)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Oct 27 20:04:58 EST 2003

In article <3F9D77BE.B66D1F08 at hotmail.com>,
Alan Kennedy  <alanmk at hotmail.com> wrote:
>[Cameron Laird]
>> This thread is really about asynchronous or concurrent
>> processing,
>
>I really don't have time to post to the level of detail I would like,
>but I had to put forward a couple of thoughts.
This is mostly a "me, too" follow-up.  I decided
to post it, though, if only to ensure

>> I claim, and I further claim we really don't
>> have *any* satisfying model for coding those.
>
>I think you might get some disagreement from the Twisted, Medusa and
>ZServer people. And possibly see a slanging match erupt on whose
>design is best....
that Twisted et al. don't feel abused.  I am VERY
fond of Twisted, Medusa, and Zope, and have even
written an (unpublished, still) article on their
concurrency management.  I, also, won't go into
detail now; I just want to make clear that I think
they're great, and was excluding them only for
categorical reasons.
			.
		[much truth]
			.
			.
>My €0,02: Generators (and, by extension, coroutines) will be python's
>greatest advance in simplifying writing event-based server
>architectures: resumable functions are a honking great idea.
Worth repeating.
			.
			.
			.