Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Oct 23 05:18:34 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote in message news:<3F970FBF.85974E79 at alcyone.com>...
> Christian Seberino wrote:
>
> > I REALLY WANT TO DO MY OPEN SOURCE PYTHON PROJECT
> > WITH 8 SPACE IDENTS!!!!
>
> You don't really think a style guide is going to stop you from doing
> that, do you?

Keep looking over your shoulder! Only if you expect the (style guide)
Spanish Inquisition, will they never show up. That's your only
protection if you're an eight spaces heretic. ;-)

Paul

P.S. Seriously, most people respect the indentation of the project
"lead" on open source projects - for example, Webware employs hard
tabs throughout its source code, and yet very few people go in and
mangle the code with two space indents and other such misdemeanours.
Some people claim some kind of inherent superiority with "whitespace
insensitive" languages, but I imagine that they are members of that
irritating club who go into C++ files and trash the indentation,
claiming that "it looks OK in Visual Studio". I suppose that this is
another area where Python almost inadvertently encourages more
considerate programming practices.