Python and Memory

Thu Oct 2 10:18:46 EDT 2003

Ben Fairbank wrote:
> I have to pick a language to commit to for general purpose
> scientific/statistical/utility/database programming at my office and
> have pretty much narrowed it down to R or Python.
In a previous life, I went for R and Python and eventually
stayed in python (with numeric, of course) because, in my case,
moving data over to R and then operating there was always more
expensive than simply doing the calculations in python.  These
days I'd check if numarray did the trick.  If you want to play
in this world, check out the enthought packaging of python:

     http://www.enthought.com/python/

They've got most of the goodies in there that you'd be likely
to want to run out and add to your python in the first months.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org