stop program and start interactive interpreter

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sat Oct 11 20:02:43 EDT 2003

Dave Reed wrote:

> I seem to remeber reading somewhere there was a statement you
> could put in your python program to stop its execution and start
> the interactive interpreter at that point (and then you could
> change the value of some variables and continue executing). Am I
> having delusions or is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Take a look at IPython.  It provides both an enhanced Python
command line and an interactive shell that you can call from within
your Python source code.  However, I believe that if you change the
value of variables, those new values are lost when you exit the
IPython shell and continue execution.

    http://ipython.scipy.org/

The manual is at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/index.html

And the part of the manual about the interactive shell is at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node9.html

Hope this helps.

(another) Dave

--