Why don't people like lisp?

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 06:40:51 EDT 2003

Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker at fast.no> wrote in
news:86znfr0yhl.fsf at raw.grenland.fast.no:

> Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> (c) why are open file objects special (are you saying objects with no
>>     internal references are less likely to be reachable from a cycle,
>>     or that there is something intrinsically special about (open?)
>>     files)?
>
>         I cannot think of any scenarios where open files would be
> involved in a cycle, that's all. That doesn't mean that it's
> impossible.

Ok. Btw., creating such a cycle is easy,

  a = [open('foo')]
  b = [a]
  a.append(b)

(i.e. any file that's reachable from a cycle). IIRC, A commonly used
'markup' library up until recently kept open file handles for all inline
images as part of the internal object state -- although I'd perhaps call
that more of a bug than a scenario? <wink>

-- bjorn