use make and version control system for every project?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Oct 5 22:01:29 EDT 2003

AK wrote:

> Hi, I recently read an advice here that one should try to use make and
> version control system even if you're the only one working on the
> program. Is that a good advice? How many of you do that?

Yes, and yes.  All my Web sites and programs are built with make, even
my resume (of which a few variations are built from templates and then
each is automatically converted to a bunch of formats).

Using source control, even for your solitary projects, is always
advisable:  you get a little touch of automatic backups (particularly if
your source control server is on a different machine), as well as the
ability to work on different branches simultaneously and have
authoritative information on precisely what you did to your software and
when.

/  \ Every path has its puddle.
\__/  (an English proverb)