use make and version control system for every project?

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.invalid
Sun Oct 5 22:00:44 EDT 2003

AK wrote:
> Hi, I recently read an advice here that one should try to use make and
> version control system even if you're the only one working on the
> program. Is that a good advice? How many of you do that?

Personally, I use make on every single one of my projects.  I even use
make to run setup.py in my pure Python packages.  (Cause it's just
easier to 'type make install' than 'python setup.py install--home=~'.)
It's not necessary, but it can save a lot of work and keep everything
up-to-date.

Version control, it depends.  I've used CVS for some personal projects
before, and can't say I've ever found it useful, and it's definitely a
pain to keep things up-to-date.  I recommend, for personal projects,
not bothering with version control at least until the project is
fairly stable.

But if you don't use version control, be sure to make frequent backups
(and store the backups on another medium; hard disks crash; it
happened to me).

my-2-cents-ly yr's,

--
CARL BANKS                   http://www.aerojockey.com/software

As the newest Lady Turnpot descended into the kitchen wrapped only in
her celery-green dressing gown, her creamy bosom rising and falling
like a temperamental souffle, her tart mouth pursed in distaste, the
sous-chef whispered to the scullery boy, "I don't know what to make of
her."
          --Laurel Fortuner, Montendre, France
            1992 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Winner