Is there any good wxPython documentation?

Steve Williams stevewilliams at wwc.com
Mon Oct 20 22:43:03 EDT 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
> I'm trying to learn wxPython, but I can't seem to find much
> documentation. The wxPython website says that all advanced (and even
> some basic) documentation for wxPython is only available in C++ syntax
> in the main wxWindows documentation. It also says that the samples
> will help, but I can't seem to make sense of them. Should I just use a
> not-as-good GUI like Tkinter or a not-as-common one like Anygui or
> PyUI if I want to have documentation?
> LittleDan

wxPython is definitely worth the effort.  I spent time getting over the
wxPython learning curve and I'm happy I did it.

You really don't need the advanced documentation (unless you're pushing
the envelope). The wxWindows documentation and the demos are enough.

Try to duplicate the demos in your own code.  Learn the difference
between wxWindow, wxScrolledWindow, wxFrame and wxPanel.  Play with
wxTextCtrl, wxStaticText and wxListBox.

Forget the menu stuff in the beginning.  You can add it later.

Work with the dialogs--wxMessageDialog, wxTextEntryDialog,
wxSingleChoiceDialog and wxMultipleChoiceDialog.

Avoid the sizers.  Use the RolColSizer instead (a wonderful tool).

The wxPython objects have a lot of methods and attributes.  Wrap them in
your own Python functions to create interfaces you're comfortable with.

Time spent with wxGrid is golden.  Study the documentation and create
your own interfaces, as there are way too many features to absorb at once.

Subscribe to wxPython-users at lists.wxwindows.org to get truly helpful
answers to your questions.