Could a single web framework popularize Python?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Oct 10 19:44:05 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 04:00 PM, Nick Vargish wrote:
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:
>
>> they're referring to the .net rather than the .org site.
>> "Annotatable"
>> docs (perhaps with some overview) sure sounds like a way-cool idea,
>> but
>> I have no first-hand experience of how well it works in practice.
>
> My guess is that the annotatable docs at php.net are exactly what
> PHPsters mean when they talk about community. I haven't been there
> for a couple of years (not doing any PHP these days), but I had
> mixed feelings about the docs. On one hand, there were often
> helpful tips about how to use a function. On the other hand, the
> comments sometimes contradicted each other, which was kind of
> daunting.

And on the third hand, the PHP docs were often vague or incomplete, so
the comments were required to understand how things worked or where
related functions might be.  Python stdlib docs aren't perfect, but on
the whole they are considerably better than PHP.  Without comments, of
course -- with comments the PHP docs are pretty good.