interpreter

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 07:51:49 EDT 2003

(redirecting away from webmaster and to python-list at python.org)

    > I'm using python to create a program for my science fair project, and
    > I'm going to present it on a rather ancient laptop that has windows
    > 95. Unfortunately it only has a floppy port so I can't install
    > anything bigger than that, and I was wondering how I could just
    > download the python interpreter, without idle and all the other stuff,
    > so I can run the program for my presentation. Is there a way to
    > separate it once you have downloaded the rest of it onto a different
    > computer?

Assuming you run the installer on another machine with more space, you
should be able to delete the parts you don't want and zip up the remainder
into a small enough package which will fit on a floppy.  Does it have to run
from the floppy as well?  If not, you can be less ruthless in what you
delete and zip up pieces of the Python tree onto multiple floppies.  (In
fact, WinZip or other zip utilities may know about saving across multiple
floppies.)

Also, double-check that the version of Python you want to use will run on
Win95.  I suspect it will, but I doubt Python gets a lot of testing there
these days.

Good luck with the science fair project...

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/