intercepting smtp email

Pettersen, Bjorn S BjornPettersen at fairisaac.com
Wed Oct 1 16:03:27 EDT 2003

> From: Peter Hansen [mailto:peter at engcorp.com]
>
> Scott Hathaway wrote:
> >
> > I want to write an NT service that will intercept any outgoing smtp
> > traffic, like Norton Antivirus does.  Can anyone tell me
> > how I can do something like this in Python?  I do not know
> > how to intercept the outgoing traffic, specifically.
>
> Normally a mail program does not connect directly to the receiving
> server, but sends all mail via a "relay" server which talks SMTP.
> For example, if you have an ISP connection, your mail would go through
> their server, which would forward it to the appropriate final
> destination.
[..]

Although some "programs" have their own embedded smtp servers that
attempt to connect directly to the recipients 'domain' before sending
its payload... A small service that could catch this use-case would be
useful for a number of friends of mine <wink/sigh>. (I think I know just
the way to distribute it to get maximum effect too <grin>).

just-barely-joking'ly
-- bjorn