A startup puzzle

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Oct 2 21:29:38 EDT 2003

"Edward K. Ream" <edreamleo at charter.net> writes:
> The problem isn't so much the present namespace pollution, the problem is
> that the technique doesn't extend well.  There comes a point at which there
> are just too many names to keep track of.  So if I were managing a group of
[...]

Um, that *is* a form of namespace pollution, isn't it, Edward?

> Still, I don't see a perfect alternative.  For sure I wouldn't like to put a
> g. in front of hundreds or thousands of function calls.  I suppose that this
> is the kind of thing one would be forced to do in slightly larger
> projects...Any other ideas?

Qt names everything with an initial Q (QWidget, QObject, QLineEdit,
...), so from qt import * with PyQt works very well.  Only one saved
character, I know, and it doesn't help you given that you've already
named everything without such a convention...

John