Newbie needs to see a large project

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Wed Oct 8 19:40:39 EDT 2003

> > Unfortunately, people (especially management) have caught the meme
> > that says "using multiple languages is bad".... [snip]
> > Why don't business users understand these arguments, or believe
> > people's experiences?

Alan Gauld:
> Because they believe high powered consultancies, like Gartner,
> Forester etc... rather than their own people!
> And because they live in hpe of finding the silver bullet that
> will cut their IT spend...

Hmmm. Ask around. I think you'll find they're looking rather to make
programmers a commodity that can be fired and hired at will; this leads
to the use of "language experience" rather than "coding experience" as a
metric. They believe programming is the use of someone else's tool, not
the creation of a new one. Certain large software development houses
feed this notion at every opportunity.

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries