Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Sat Oct 11 20:42:57 EDT 2003

dewatf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:28:36 +1300, "Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)"
> <g2h5dqi002 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hans Nowak wrote:
>>

>>>Hmm, if I recall correctly, in Latin the plural of 'virus' is 'virus'.
>>
>>Actually, the last discussion of this that I saw (can't remember where)
>>came to the conclusion that the word 'virus' didn't *have* a plural
>>in Latin at all, because its original meaning didn't refer to something
>>countable.
>

> 'virus' (slime, poison, venom) is a 2nd declension neuter noun and
> technically does have a plural 'viri'.

Doesn't it belong to the group that includes 'fructus'?  Of course this has
nothing to do with the plural used in English, but still... :-)

This page, which has a lot of info on this issue, seems to think so:

http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html

--
Hans (hans at zephyrfalcon.org)
http://zephyrfalcon.org/