Where are "What's new" for 2.0, 2.1?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Oct 2 11:47:43 EDT 2003

"Edward K. Ream" <edreamleo at charter.net> writes:

> Thanks for these links.
>
> > How hard did you look?
>
> Interesting question.  I looked where one would, I think, expect to
> find these sections, namely in the documentation page at:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/
>
> and in particular, the "Previous versions" page at:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/versions.html
>
> Are you suggesting that one should have to do a Google search to
> find this stuff?

Well, I'm not sure about "should have to", but it's what I did and I
found the pages in about 10 seconds.

> Did I miss a link from these pages that should have been obvious?

No.  What you perhaps didn't know is that the 2.0 and 2.1 versions of
the documentation were not part of the official Python documentation
but rather semi-independent efforts, and so *I*, knowing this,
wouldn't have expected them to be on python.org.

It would probably make sense if they or links to them did appear
where you looked.

Most of the pages for specific versions has links to the what's new
document (http://www.python.org/2.1.3/ even has a link to both).

The fact that the python.org site is not optimally organised is not
news, I thought, though it's getting much better.

Cheers,
mwh

--
[1] If you're lost in the woods, just bury some fibre in the ground
    carrying data. Fairly soon a JCB will be along to cut it for you