elimination of the annoying flash Re: tkinter window geometry

John Benson jsbenson at bensonsystems.com
Sat Nov 22 16:59:55 EST 2003

The following is just book-larnin' but may be helpful:

Re elimination of an annoying flash:

I'll quote from p 98 of John Grayson's book, Python and Tkinter Programming
from Manning Publications, 2nd ed. 2000:

Colormap events
If a new colormap is installed,  ColormapNotify event is generated. This may
be used by your application to prevent the annoying colormap flashing which
can occur when another application installs a colormap.

(end quote)

My ***guess*** is that you'd trap this event in the area where flashing
occurs, and terminate the event propagation right there by returning "break"
from the special event handler (ibid, p 107) you'd have to install, on the
assumption that the colormap event propagation is causing the flashing
problem higher up in the hierarchy. Then deinstall the handler once you're
out of the flashing area of the code.

There are possibly other display recombobulation events that are causing the
flash (Exposure? Configure Notify? etc.) which also might be amenable to the
above workaround.