Python's simplicity philosophy

Arthur ajs at optonline.net
Sat Nov 15 04:18:16 EST 2003

Rainer writes -

>In one line:

>x = sum(seq)

>And that is why 'sum' is a worthwhile part of the Python >standard library

The issue that concerns me is the analysis, decision-making on this kind of
issue on what is essentially an "as if" basis - as if Numeric and its line
of descent were not defacto standard library for numeric processing in
Python.

I don't know that any conclusions would change with current Numeric
functionality, and the effect of such changes on Numeric, taken under
consideration.  But I do wonder why it doesn't seem to be condered essential
to consider these kinds of issues in this light.

Art