STrange error importing win32gui

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 03:42:06 EST 2003

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<87fzgtfm8c.fsf at pobox.com>...
> joconnor at cybermesa.com (Jay O'Connor) writes:
>
> > I'm using Python 2.3 on windows and trying to use the win32 libs.  I
> > keep getting the following error

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in -toplevel-
> >     import win32gui
> > ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
> > functioning.
> >
> > I'm not sure what it means ot how to fix it.  Any thoughts?
>
> Don't you just love those informative Windows error messages?
>
> I had that error message before (can't remember the circumstances),
> and never found out what the problem was.  Had to work around it
> rather than fix it.
>

> John

When I've had these errors, it's usually indicated
that -- at some point -- one of my network drives
has gone down, especially but not limited to the
one I'm hosting my python-site-packages directory
on. Forcing a reconnection to the drive
(ie net use /del followed by net use) seems to solve it,
even if the drive is by now up and running again.

YMMV
TJG