Pure Aspect-Oriented Program: an example

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 01:37:27 EST 2003

Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.488.1068134598.702.python-list at python.org>...

> Fantastic!  That's the best introduction to the concepts of AOP I've seen.
> Many thanks for a very clear and thought-provoking article.
>
> Now please implement it for Python, including your proposed IDE.  8-)

Yeah, right. :)

I do realize that people are converging in their ideas. AOP is
becoming more and more clear with each passing day. That's really
exciting. But I believe things have not yet finalized, and I am not a
"marketoid" to go out and sell half-baked ideas. :)

Java folks have economical resources, but their language puts so much
handcuff on them that AOP there is kind of hard to use. Ruby is
perhaps the language that's easiest to accomodate, and Python comes a
close second. As for IDEs, you can bet Java folks will have something
before anyone else. Although I am not sure why people'd keep investing
effort into such a rigid language.

See for instance:

http://www.hpcc.gov/iwg/sdp/vanderbilt/position_papers/gregor_kiczales_aspect_oriented_programming.pdf

where people are focusing a bit on IDE already, though theirs is not
nearly as good as my proposed one. :)

Hung Jung