Why I love Python: More rambling...

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 19:19:14 EST 2003

Juha Autero wrote:

> Fernando Perez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Tests made by a blitz developer with the SGI C++ compiler show far
>> better scaling (with the rank of the tensors), but I needed to run
>> this on linux boxes using g++.
>
> What kind of Linux boxes? Intel has a C++ compiler for Linux that is
> clamed to be better than GCC. It is not free and naturally only
> available for x86, but if you can live with those terms, you could try
> the free evaluation version to see if it helps.

I tested ifc on blitz++ code, and it's not significantly better than g++.  The
issue is the expression templates used by blitz++, which ifc doesn't seem to
handle any better than g++.  Granted, my testing was not exhaustive, but that
was the quick feeling I got.

Note that these issues creep up in blitz++ only when using their tensor index
objects at high rank, a somewhat dark corner case which obviously puts
compilers in a world of pain.

Best,