python a bust?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Nov 17 10:58:57 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> the world is. So, I do promote Python, but the pacific way ;)
>
>               Michele
>
> P.S. in Italian "pacific" means "peaceful" but also, referred to a person,
> somebody with a slow pace, and/or somebody who doesn't worry too much
> (like me ;) not sure if the English word has the same connotation, but

Yes, "pacific" has exactly the same two connotations in American English
as "pacifico" has in Italian -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/37/P0003700.html
It's just a rare-ish word, being overwhelmed by [a] "peaceful" and [b] the
geographic-connoting "Pacific" (which refers not just to the Ocean, but to
the huge variety of regions bordering said Ocean...).

Alex