Memory exception with Tkinter root.quit

Jane Austine janeaustine50 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:37:26 EST 2003

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote in message news:<bpc33k$9lk$0 at 216.39.172.122>...

>  if

> >> Not much of a help, but I've tried it here: no problems... (python
> >> 2.3.2, win xp).  Can it be a Python 2.3.0 issue that has been fixed in
> >> 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 ?
> >>
> >> --Irmen
> >
> >I tried it with 2.3.2, but it doesn't work either.
> >
> >The crash message is:
> >
> >python.exe -- application program error
> >
> >the command from "0x77f7e22a" referenced the memory at "0x00000028".
> >The memory couldn't be "read".
>
> Another data point:
>
> For me it ran seemingly ok in an NT4 console window, but with idle it acted weird,
> and I couldn't capture the session screen (oops, maybe Ctl-C is no good for that there)
> Anyway, the Quit button changed to depressed look, and then was stuck visible but not responding.
> I had to kill it with task manager. Then idle printed a -----restart----- line.
>
> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

It's very strange but it works perfect when I rename python.exe into
something else and run with it.

Has it something to do with previous versions installed? I had
Python2.3bx and 2.3c1 installed on this machine and didn't uninstall
them before I installed Python 2.3.2.

Why does this happen? How can I solve this problem?