True, False, None

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 12 03:32:36 EST 2003

Michele Simionato
> Better to say: singletons are classes. But True and False are not
> classes (no '__base__' attribute, for instance) so they are not
> singletons.

I don't follow your statement.

Not all singletons are classes.  Imported modules are
singletons, yes?  And as an implementation choice the
numbers -1 to 100 are singletons as are the single character
byte strings.  (Implementation choice since the spec requires
that None references a singleton but not that 1 and 3-2
always reference the same object.)

>>> import sys
>>> sys.__base__
Traceback (most recent call last):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__base__'
Traceback (most recent call last):
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute '__base__'

> I think using smallcaps would have been more consistent.

Well, I do too.  Just conjecturing.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com