Python's simplicity philosophy

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 03:28:29 EST 2003

In article <17lsb.109042$fl1.4548960 at twister.southeast.rr.com>, Georgy
Pruss <SEE_AT_THE_END at hotmail.com> writes

>"Michele Simionato" <mis6 at pitt.edu> wrote in message news:2259b0e2.0311112248.3b
>e2d304 at posting.google.com...
>| <...>
>| in which the sequence goes *before* the operator. It is interesting to
>| notice that somebody recently suggested in the Scheme newsgroup that
>|
>| (map function sequence)
>|
>| was a bad idea and that
>|
>| (map sequence function)
>|
>| would be better!
>|
>| <...>
>
>Yes, that's right. Some scientific studies proved that humans think and
>express their thoughts in order subject/object-action. So OOP is very
>"human" in this aspect, btw.
>
>G-:

on oop in this thread nobody has pointed out that we could have

sequence.sum()
sequence.reduce(operator.add[,init])

or even

sequence.filter(func) etc etc

and similar. That would make these frighteningly incomprehensible ;)
concepts seem less like functional programming. Personally I wouldn't
like that to happen.
--
Robin Becker