Request for simple a customisable Python editor

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Fri Nov 7 16:41:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:43:54 +0000, stephenlee at exe-coll.ac.uk wrote:
> I want to develop a simple Python program to edit source code that is
> persisted in a database (memo fields).
> The code to be edited is iHTML and SQL and I want syntax colouring and
> good basic features including tabs for multiple 'files' and searching.
> It will be a Win32 deployment.

Much better would be to allow the editor used to be chosen by the user,
and supply a reasonable default.  Editors are powerful beasts, and
forcing someone familiar with one to use a different one for your
application is not a user-friendly design choice.

Pick an editor that you think is a good default, but invoke it with a
command-line only, *don't* build it into your application.  That way,
you can provide a customisation option to change the editor command
line, and the user can substitute their favourite editor if they choose.

--
 \          "One thing vampire children have to be taught early on is, |
  `\                   don't run with a wooden stake."  -- Jack Handey |