Why does this choke?

S Kemplay skemplay at dingley.net
Fri Nov 7 06:31:00 EST 2003

Hi all,

I wrote a script to choose random dates for a statistics assignment.
I only need to choose 30 dates from one year with no leap years and it works
fine. However I tested with different numbers of dates. It hangs from 450 up.
I only need 30 dates but it would be good to know why it hangs. (My coding
probably has something to do with it :))

import random

def getmonth():
    month = random.randint(1,12)
    return month

def getday(month, leaps):
    thirtyones = [1,3,5,7,8,10,12]
    thirties = [4,6,9,11]
    if month in thirtyones:
        day = random.randint(1,31)
    elif month in thirties:
        day = random.randint(1,30)
    else:
        if leaps == 1: leap = random.randint(1,4)
        else: leap = 1
        if leap in [2,3,4]:
            day = random.randint(1,29)
        else: