On python syntax...

Steve H netspam at shic.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 08:41:17 EST 2003

I'm writing a library in which I have a stream object supporting a
Write mehod, and I require to provide support for writing arbitrary
strings in arbitrary nested contexts.  A simplified example solution
might look like this.

--
# Simplified matching marker calls.
def Open(s) :

#Main body
def Square(s) :
	s.Open()
	for i in range(100) :
		s.open
		for j in range(100) :
			s.write("{%s,%s}"%i,j)
		s.close
	s.close
--

While this solution would work, I'm less than happy that the
programmer is left to ensure calls to Open are matched with calls to

Having glanced through the python manual I notice that the C++ trick
of using an object with a destructor to manage this sort of behaviour
is inappropriate for a phython script (as __del__ may be called at any
time once the ref-count for an object is 0.)  I wonder, is there a
better approach to this problem than the solution above (maybe using
lambda functions?)  I'd like a main body of the following form to
generate the same result:

def Square(s) :
	ManageContext(s)
	for i in range(100) :