nearest neighbor in 2D

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 6 07:48:13 EST 2003

This enquiry has generated a lot of interest.  I thought it might be
useful to try numarray on the problem.  numarray has a compress
function, which is used to discard points which are not of interest.

The code is below.

As would be expected, each scan over the points in the neigbourhood
discards, on average, a little more than half the points.

I have not tried it, but it should be possible, with numarray, to
generalize this from 2D to multimimensional space.

Colin W.

# Neighbour.py
''' To find the closest neighbour, in a neghbourhood P,
     to a point p.
     '''
import math
import numarray as N
import numarray.numerictypes as _nt
import numarray.random_array as R

trial= 0
lengthRemaining= []
def find(P, p):
   ''' In the 2D neighbourhood P, find the point closest to p.
      The approach is based on the selection of a trial value Pt, from
P, and
      discarding all values further than Pt from p.
      To avoid repeated sqrt calculations the discard is based on an
      enclosing square.
      '''
   global lengthRemaining, trial
   lengthRemaining+= [[P.shape[0]]]
   Pz= P - p                             # zero based neighbourhood
   while len(Pz):
     Pt= Pz[0]                           # trial value
     Pta= N.abs(Pt)
     Pz= Pz[1:]
     pd= math.sqrt(N.dot(Pta, Pta))      # distance of p from the trial
value
     goodCases= N.logical_and((Pz < pd),
                              (Pz > -pd))# use the enclosing square
     goodCases= N.logical_and.reduce(goodCases, 1)
     Pz= N.compress(goodCases, Pz)  # discard points outside the square
     if len(Pz) == 1:
       Pt= Pz[0]                         # We have found the closest
       Pz= []
     lengthRemaining[trial]+= [len(Pz)]
     z= 100
   trial+= 1
   return Pt + p

if __name__ == '__main__':
   for sampleSize in range(100, 5000, 100):
     P= R.random(shape= (sampleSize, 2))
     for i in range(20):
       p= R.random((1, 2))                   # point
       a= find(P, p)
##      print 'Closest neighbour:', a[0]
##      print 'Check - Point(p):', p[0]
   ##  check= []
   ##  for i in range(len(P)):
   ##    check+= [(math.sqrt((P[i, 0]-p[0, 0])**2 + (P[i, 1]-p[0,
   ##    print P[i], math.sqrt((P[i, 0]-p[0, 0])**2 + (P[i, 1]-p[0, 1])**2)
   ##  check.sort()
   ##  print check[0]
   ##  print check
     print 'Number of scans:', sum([len(lst) for lst in lengthRemaining])
     print 'Sample size:', P.shape[0], ' Average numner of scans:',
sum([len(lst) for lst in lengthRemaining])/float(len(lengthRemaining))