True, False, None

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Nov 12 11:22:51 EST 2003

JCM wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
>> To me, personally, all of this debates only underscores yet again the
>> one serious "ergonomic" defect in Python's syntax -- case sensitivity.
>
> You know this has been discussed repeatedly with opinions expressed on
> both sides.  Calling it a defect is just incitive.

Nice word (I admit I had to look it up, but don't feel too bad about
that, because American Heritage didn't know it either:-).  But, so
what?  Particularly when carefully starting a sentence with "To me,
personally", I _DO_ get to express my opinions, you know, even though
you consider them "[adj] arousing to action or rebellion" (and I
disagree with your opinion of them: I am convinced that no action nor
rebellion can ever remove from Python the wart of case-sensitivity).

If and when people design their own little languages they're quite
likely to model some of their aspects on languages they do know.  I
_do_ hope to "arouse to action" some would-be designer of some such
specialized language, enough that they'll consider making said future
minilanguage case-insensitive; if they do, I think the overall amount
of happiness in the world will be (albeit minutely) increased.

Alex