Unicode -> Python -> DBAPI -> PyPgSQL -> PostgreSQL

Rene Pijlman reply.in.the.newsgroup at my.address.is.invalid
Mon Nov 3 06:44:03 EST 2003

Gerhard Häring:
>Rene Pijlman:
>> I can't seem to find any way to specify the character encoding with the DB
>> API implementation of PyPgSQL. There is no mention of encoding and Unicode
>> in the DB API v2.0 spec and the PyPgSQL README. [...]
>
>See section 2.2.5 in the pyPgSQL README:

Well, its not in this README I found in the Debian package python2.2-pgsql
with pyPgSQL 2.0:
#ident "@(#) $Id: README,v 1.20 2001/11/05 01:18:12 ghaering Exp $"
pyPgSQL - v2.0: Python DB-API 2.0 Compliant Interface Module for
PostgreSQL.

But this tells me I probably need to upgrade to pyPgSQL 2.3 or 2.4:
"Q: I’ve heard of Unicode support for pyPgSQL. What’s the current status?
A: It’s integrated in pyPgSQL 2.3."
http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net/pypgsql-faq.pdf

Thanks a lot Gerhard, you've put me on the right track.

--
René Pijlman