ANN: PyKDE now does KDE plugins

Jim Bublitz jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com
Sat Nov 8 12:16:32 EST 2003

John J. Lee wrote:

> Not if a (C++) interface is *added*, not replaced.  The KDE
> plugin loader could check for init_blah first, and if that's
> not there, check for plain old init.

There sre several different loading schemes. I've always taken
the approach that PyKDE and related stuff shouldn't require any
modifications to KDE (although I did file one feature request
before we figured out how to load panel applets reliably).
Considering any scripting language can use the same approach and
there are other bindings in various stages of development, it
would probably be a good idea to bring this up with KDE
eventually. I'd prefer to have more running code before doing
that.

> Well, it might be if there were any sip documentation :-) I had
> some
> success using sip before, but it was hard work.  I noticed that
> Phil promised docs for PyQt/sip 4, though!

Yeah - I promised Phil I'd write a sip tutorial too. Notice there
aren't any links :(

Actually I have a tutorial about half done, but sip 4.0 is in
pre-release with lots of improvements (less handwritten code),
so I'm waiting for that to be completed. There are some links to
docs at tiverbankcomputing.co.uk too.

I also have a tool in development that generates sip files
automatically from h files (it's how PyKDE is generated) - it's
probably about 6 months (or more) away from release. The code
generation works well, but the doc generation and build
machinery generation need a lot of work yet. That will need
updating for sip 4 also.

Jim