python a bust?

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 21:18:04 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> "Brandon J. Van Every" <try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com>
> wrote in message
> news:<bp2bc0$1j68et$1 at ID-207230.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>>
>> True... but in most cases we're making an Existential choice about
>> our
>> willingness to control.  We are not in fact helpless.  Such is the
>> case with Python.
>>
>> If you want to actually do something about marketing Python "like
>> the big boys do," I encourage you to join the marketing-python forum.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not a kinda of marketing person ...

Well, this is less a matter of having some official qualification (I
certainly don't) than having a head for it, and for getting things done.  I
think in my case, the pressure of running my own business and being
responsible for all of my own missteps has made me better able to see when
some avenues of discussion are a complete waste of time.

> Anyway, I must congratulate you for the Python logo:

I'll take that as collective congratulation for the py-design-forum, and a
specific accolade for Tim Parkin, the designer.  I could not possibly take
the congratulation specifically!  My main role has been to light a match
under other people's toes and force people to make decisions instead of
hemming and hawing endlessly.  I tried my hand at "graphic designer wannabe"
and offered a couple of shaky concepts of my own.  By doing so, I forced
others with more skill to put up or shut up.  Once real graphic designers
started putting up, we got some results.  Now, if only we can get PSF to see
the wisdom of progress... we haven't secured their buy-in for this logo yet.

> it is ways better
> than any other Python logo I have seen (so far) and it looks really
> professional. The font is so and so, but the stylized snake is
> perfect, and very original.

I think we have consensus that the font needs improvement, even from the
designer.  He didn't want to spend lotsa time angsting about the font if we
didn't even have PSF's buy-in about the logo itself yet.  A wise move on his
part: PSF has a lot of trouble cutting the chase and shipping things in the
art dept.  The web redesign process, for instance, has been interminable.

>>> We can only wait and see (as in that old chinese said ...)
>>
>> Chinese philosophies, at least as received by Westerners looking for
>> alternatives to their high stress culture, often have the flaw of
>> being too Yin.  The Tao is balance, not passivity.
>
> Yes, but the idea I had in mind was something like "relax, we are not
> in war against Java or C# or anything else, let us wait for a bit
> before complaining about Python dead".

I have seen the DEC Alpha CPU torn out from under me.  As far as I'm
concerned, any hardware / language / API / OS has enemies, and those that do
not market themselves properly are endangered.  Considering that Python was
available before Java, it is not the success story that it could or should
be.  The ugly truth of high is it's 1/3 technology and 2/3 marketing.  If
you believe otherwise, then you haven't had Intel or Microsoft hand you your
ass yet.

--
Cheers,                          www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every                Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."