ANN: Unum 4.0 beta

Pierre Denis Pierre-et-Liliane.DENIS at village.uunet.be
Sun Nov 16 15:18:01 EST 2003

Unum 4.0 beta is now available on http://home.tiscali.be/be052320/Unum.html.

This Python module allows you to work with units like volts, hours, meter-per-second or dollars-per-spam. So you can play with true
quantities (called 'unums') instead of simple numbers. Consistency between units is checked at each expression evaluation and an
exception is raised when something is wrong, for instance, when trying to add apples to bananas. Unit conversion and unit output
formatting are performed automatically when needed. The main goals are to avoid unit errors in your calculations and to make unit
output formatting easy and uniform.

This new version encompasses all the SI units and allows you to define your own libraries of units, with specific names and symbols.
Other improvements makes this version more solid : compatibility with NumPy, packages, misc optimizations, true exceptions,
new-style class, static methods, etc. The installation also should be easier and more standard through installation files. The site
and tutorial page have been updated to give more accurate information.

This 4.0-beta version is stable, fairly. The term 'beta' essentially means that problems may potentially occur at installation on
specific OS. I made successful installation tests on Windows 98, XP and Red Hat Linux 7.2. Besides this, the choices I made for unit
names and symbols are subject to change if I receive more sensible suggestions. Of course, any other ideas, comments or criticisms
are welcome before releasing the official Unum 4.0 (no planning yet).

This version requires Python 2.2 (at least).

The license is GPL.

Thanks for your interest,

Pierre Denis