PEP 289: universal and existential operators

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no
Sat Nov 15 15:22:56 EST 2003

In article <bourho$1iqg1d$1 at ID-169208.news.uni-berlin.de>, Greg Ewing
(using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
>Will Stuyvesant wrote:
>> Oh no!  Their mathematical names are "forall" and "exists" and that is
>> what they should be IMO.
>
>Actually, their mathematical names are an upside-down "A"
>and an upside-down "E", which are often pronounced "for
>all" and "there exists", but other pronunciations are
>possible.

While we're nit-picking, I'd like to point out that the "E" isn't
upside-down -- it's mirrored (or rotated 180 degrees or whatever), so
it's horizontal edges point left. :)

As for the "forall" and "exists" -- these are the LaTeX names for
these symbols. Given that Guido has already used LaTeX as a motivation
for enumerate(), that might speak in favor of these names (even though
"all" and "any" seem better to me too...)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                "In this house we obey the laws of
http://hetland.org                 thermodynamics!"    Homer Simpson