MP3-Player in Python?

Thorsten Pferdekämper thorsten at pferdekaemper.com
Wed Nov 19 10:36:06 EST 2003

Hi,
I am currently trying to code a little MP3-Player in Python. I do not try to
do all the decoding stuff in Python, I am just looking for a (more or
less...) platform independent way to play MP3s. I also want to display
information like these stored in the ID3-tag and information like the length
in seconds, the scan frequency etc.
So far, I have found the following solutions, but I am not really happy with
all of them:

1. pygame.mixer.music:
    Pros: Seems to be very platform independent
    Cons: I was not able to get the length in seconds etc.

2. tksnack
    Pros: Lots of functionality. Really cool.
    Cons: Needs Tkinter to run. (I would like to run this without X in
Linux.)

3. popen mplayer or something like this
    Pros: ?
    Cons: Don't know how to control volume, position etc.
              Dont' know how to close mplayer in Windows...

So far for the MP3 playing stuff.

Concerning the ID3 tags, I have found the id3-py package
(id3-py.sourceforge.net). It worked, but I dislike the automatic saving of
changes on deconstruction. It also causes problems with german umlauts...
It also seems not to support ID3v2.

I also know mmpython, but I do not know how to run this with Windows XP. (It
works fine with Linux...)

So, what do you think?

Regards,
    Thorsten