ActiveState Python won't call module function.

Glenn Reed dont_use at nowhere.com
Sat Nov 29 14:56:22 EST 2003

Hi,

This is probably a really easy question and I apologize if it is already
covered in some faq somewhere.

These are my two source files:
------- module1.py -------------
class module2:
    def __init__(self):
        self.x=23
        self.y=14
        self.z=33
        self.x1=self.x=3

#thisClass=module2()
# I added the above line in just to test it works here and it does.
------- tmod.py ---------------
# Test Module
import module1

thisClass = module2()

It generates the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
line 301, in RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "C:\My Documents\PythonSrc\Temp\tmod.py", line 4, in ?
    thisClass = module1()
NameError: name 'module2' is not defined

I realize I have created a different class name 'module2' to the filename
'module1' but I was thinking at the time the error may be due to a namespace
clash between the name of the file and the name of the class or the filename
hiding the classname etc.

But this has got me stumped and I would appreciate any help on it.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn.