AI and cognitive psychology rant (getting more and more OT - tell me if I should shut up)

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Sun Nov 2 12:18:41 EST 2003

"Andrew Dalke" <adalke at mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<Zl3pb.1653$qh2.456 at newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > But my understanding is that the universe, so far as anyone can tell,
> > is either an infinite space or finite without bounds. In either case,
> > there is no such thing as a center.
>
> Michele is a better one for this topic.  My point was just that many
> different answers doesn't necessarily imply a mystic explanation.

Since the Universe is homogenous and isotropic, every point has the
same right to be the center that any other point. In a more
mathematically inclined perspective, notice that in a curved
space the concept of center is tricky. For instance, what's
the center of the *surface* of the Earth? (yes, somebody could
say Washington DC, but I was talking about non-euclidean geometry,
not about politics ;)

> I read a popular account of "branes", membrane theory, which
> was interesting.  I don't know enough to describe it

Then you know as much as the authors of the theory ;)

                          Michele Simionato