Selling Python Software

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Nov 3 17:14:57 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> "John J. Lee" wrote:
[...]
> The problem here is that it is almost certain that the efforts of
> dedicated crackers will be far greater than anything you can come up
> with.  If someone really wants to crack your program, they will be able
> to do so, and there's not much you can do to stop them.  Furthermore, in
> some senses the monetary analogy, though useful, is flawed.  There are
[...]

Oh, absolutely, but we're not (weren't, anyway) talking about a
consumer app here, but a 1000 line Python program written by a
consultant for a company.  Companies are not "warez doodz", and tend
to be driven by money.  The source (or something closely related to
it, like a decompiled Python program) may be significantly more
valuable to them than the executable.

John