[XPOST] [REQ] open source multimedia authoring tools? In python maybe?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Thu Nov 6 13:27:03 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm working on just what you are asking for. =) It's called
EClass.Builder and it basically is for creating HTML-based e-learning
modules for delivery via Internet/CD-ROM. It's built using wxPython,
and while it currently does the basic stuff (lets you add
audio/video/etc. into web pages), it has some nice features like
full-text indexing and basic auto-grading quiz support. In the future
I want to move more into Internet-enabled courses that leverage
PHP/MySQL.

Best of all, it's extensible - if you wanted to add a 'plugin' for
building photo albums (or maybe a 'slide builder'), you could. If you
wanted to build a theme for your courses, you could - all without
editing the main program. I'd love to hear from the techies about the
program - currently I am working on it myself for the most part. (My
end users are currently mostly professors, no Python programmers!) It
is a work in progress, but the core is there - mostly it needs more
plugins, better HTML editing support (it uses Mozilla/wxMozilla as a
rich text editor using the Web Page plugin) and support for more
advanced templating.

Check it out at:

http://www.eclass.net

BTW, if you don't mind playing with the latest and greatest software,
you can get the latest beta at:

http://www.eclass.net/Downloads/eclass-builder2.5b3.exe

The documentation is a bit sparse and outdated, so I'd encourage you
to explore the program and try some things. =) Please let me know what
you think! I'm working on a redesign of the site and documentation
which I will post in the next couple weeks or so. You can sign up on
the eclass-users at lists.sourceforge.net mailing list if you're
interested in being kept up to date.

Thanks,

Kevin