Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 3)

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Mon Nov 3 11:07:37 EST 2003

news:slrnbqcu85.u0o.ramen at lackingtalent.com...

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general.html#why-doesn-t-python-have-a-with-statement-like-some-other-languages

> It does seem like the .dot .prefix would disambiguate the variable scope
as
> long as it is used consistently, but I must say it was a surprise to read
> this...

Aparently Guido has a number of directions he'd like to take Python,
and some kind of *optional* typing is on the list. That's no secret,
I've seen references to it a number of times.

Every few months, someone brings up a 'with' statement. The FAQ
points out a number of problems with it, however, if you're willing
to give up some dynamism and insert the needed type declarations,
then it's not only eminently doable, but (if done right) would help
demonstrate program correctness.

John Roth